Sherborne Castle & Gardens
Covid Update - For the most up to date information, please visit the website.
COVID-19 VISITENGLAND WE’RE GOOD TO GO ACCREDITED BUSINESS
Built by Sir Walter Raleigh in 1594 and the stately home of the Digby family since 1617; a fascinating visit to the historic Sherborne Castle awaits you: Walk in the footsteps of Sir Walter Raleigh in the home he built more than 400 years ago.
Take a leisurely stroll around 42 acres of our beautiful English Landscape Gardens. Experience the peace and tranquillity; marvel at the spectacular views.
Take lunch in our award winning Tea Room and then browse our Gift Shop for a souvenir of your visit.
Discover magnificent staterooms displaying nationally important collections of Art, Furniture & Porcelain, a Tudor kitchen and the Family Museum in the Castle's cellars.
Uncover the Great Stories of Sherborne Castle telling the stories of key moments in history at the Castle
Discover walks round the 50-acre lake to Garden features such as Raleigh's Seat, The Cascade and a new Fossil House
Enjoy colour throughout the season in the Gardens from spectacular carpet arrays of spring bulbs, glorious herbaceous borders and the breathtaking colours of autumn reflected in the lake.
In the Family Museum you can see Raleigh’s Kitchen, fascinating family artefacts and Fossil & Archive displays. Our Sir Walter Raleigh display covers the great man's time here at the Castle and our ‘Capability’ Brown display drawn from the archives shows his impact and legacy on the Gardens.
Combined with the Castle, the historic market town of Sherborne and its wonderful Abbey are close by for a memorable day out.
Please visit website for admission prices.
* See website for the most up to date information on opening times
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good165
- bin45Bath, United KingdomA wonderful experience ruined by security staffFriday, 13th November 2020Lovely day out ruined by aggressive security personnel - visited Sherborne castle today from Bath with neighbour who suffers with vascular dementia and Alzheimer’s and needs to be kept busy as... Read full review
- JTravel131211My favourite place in Sherborne!Monday, 12th April 2021Allow enough time to see everything. The gardens are magnificent, lovingly landscaped and the walks through the old trees, the lake, and the flower meadows are worth a visit. Now in spring... Read full review
- GailVSmithWorthing, United KingdomTrip out after lockdownMonday, 26th April 2021We visited in April 2021 so in between the daffodils and flowering shrubs. Lovely gardens nonetheless with walks around the lake and alongside the old castle. The tea rooms were open but only serving... Read full review
- Visit Britain We're Good to Go 2021
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021