What’s better than a leisurely trip behind an historic steam engine through an area of natural beauty.
The six mile 30 minute ride takes passengers through the beautiful Purbeck countryside including stunning views of the ruins of Corfe Castle.
The stations at Norden, Corfe Castle, Harmans Cross, Herston and Swanage provide access to historic villages, country walks and the Jurassic Coast World Heritage Site, whilst providing a valuable transport service for the local community.
The easiest way to travel is with our “Freedom of the Line”. Freedom of the Line Tickets offer unlimited travel between Swanage and Wareham. Up to date prices avaiaible online.
Look out for special events such as Peppa Pig or “Santa Specials” or treat yourself to an evening meal, lunch or afternoon tea on the “Wessex Belle”. Christmas is such a lovely time of year at Swanange Railway. Bookings are now being taken for the Santa Express and Christmas Belle trips. Visit the website for further information.
Record-breaking ‘Flying Scotsman’ – the most famous steam locomotive in the world visited Swanage Railway in March 2019 and was reunited with a rare Pullman observation carriage for the first time in almost 50 years.
Flying Scotsman' last visited the Swanage Railway in 1994 – when it only hauled trains to Harman's Cross – so it's very exciting that No. 60103 hauled trains all the way to Corfe Castle and Norden, during the 2019 visit to Swanage.
Visit the website for further information.
- Watch our review of 2017 here:
Please visit the website for more information on fares and timetables
|Train times vary throughout the year (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Jan 2021)|
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good683
- LowenGirlSurrey, United KingdomAbsolutely delightfulFriday, 3rd January 2020We were luckily enough to ride the steam train to Corfe Castle on New Year's Day; the only day it was running until the middle of February. I loved everything from admiring the steam engine to the... Read full review
- HundaTorre-Pacheco, SpainA lovely steam train birthday tripTuesday, 7th January 2020My husband is a steam train fanatic so on his birthday we took the bus from Bournemouth where we were staying for a couple of days for a concert, and we did the trip to Corfe Castle on the steam... Read full review
- Kelly1917Redditch, United KingdomTrip Type:Friends getawayRelaxing tripTuesday, 18th February 2020A lovely journey on the railway. Comfortable seats and great views, particularly around Corfe Castle. On a chilly and rainy day it was really nice to sit in the warm carriage. We had take away teas... Read full review