Hengistbury Head Visitor Centre
Spend the day at Hengistbury Head, to take in all that this stunning site has to offer. Enjoy panoramic views of Christchurch Harbour and Poole Bay, discover the rare plants and wildlife of this special nature reserve and learn about the important archaeological aspects of this ancient site.
The interactive exhibition explains all about the archaeology, ecology and geology celebrating 14,000 years of Bournemouth’s prehistory from the Stone Age through to the present day. Handle objects used by the Stone Age, Bronze Age and Iron Age people who lived, hunted and worked here. Discover what lurks beneath the fresh and salt waters of Hengistbury Head, and of course, check out the wildlife cameras for the very latest close-ups of the birds and mammals that frequent the boxes and nests of this SSSI site (site of Special Scientific Interest).
Explore the site using the Hengistbury land train, or take the paths and trails by foot or by bike. Ask in the Visitor Centre for routes and for what to look out for on your journey.
The Visitor Centre offers:
- A gift shop selling souvenirs and local produce
- A full events and exhibition programme (see website for details)
- A dedicated space for learning and community use
- Creative outdoor learning areas plus a wildlife garden with pond
- Easy access for all abilities and ages to information and activities
- Refreshments and ice cream
|Open All Year (1 Jan 2019 - 31 Jan 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00*|
* (Open until 5pm in the summer)
Closed Christmas Day
Closed Lunch Time Christmas Eve
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good54
- GordonCotswoldsCotswoldsInteresting History of the HeadSunday, 22nd September 2019We had a beautiful walk around the Head and ended in the Visitor Centre which showed an interesting pictorial history of the Head. hiso Read full review
- 204malcolmdAbingdon, United KingdomGood Informitive CentreThursday, 26th September 2019Nicely laid out with helpful staff the centre provides some really good information. The outside garden is very attractive and a visit enhances your knowledge of the area Read full review
- WalesBillWalesTrip Type:CouplesA must do if your in the arraFriday, 27th September 2019Great walks to Mudeford, Christchurch Priory or Bournemouth Pier and even Poole/Sandbanks if you feel energetic. The car park at Hengistbury Head and the fantastic cafe there provide an ideal start... Read full review