Compton Acres is one of the finest privately owned gardens in the South of England. Having undergone extensive refurbishment in the past 10 years Compton Acres is now highly regarded as one of the most important historic gardens in the UK.
Comprising a series of classical themed gardens, each providing an attractive and unique variety of ornamental plants from around the world, cared for by a team of professional gardeners.
The gardens are laid out on a circular route, like clusters of jewels on a sparkling necklace, allowing the visitor to discover each garden in turn. Highlights include the Grand Italian Garden, a Rock and Water Garden, a Heather Garden and an authentic Japanese Garden which was designed and built by a Japanese architect with many ornaments imported from Japan. There is surprise, beauty and interest at every turn at Compton Acres.
The five contrasting garden designs were conceived to provide pleasure and enjoyment to its original owner and the gardens still retain the atmosphere of a distinctive private property.
Thanks to the mild climate of Dorset’s south facing coast and the skill of its gardeners, Compton Acres contains a magnificent collection of more than 3000 species of trees, shrubs, bulbs and herbaceous plants enriched by seasonal plantings of thousands of bedding plants. Each year sees an increase in the range of plants chosen to provide colour, beauty and horticultural interest all the year round.
There are two cafes, (the Harbour View cafe is seasonal) serving great coffee, teas, snacks and real homemade food, shops and plant centre.
Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome.
There is a large free car park.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|4 and Under||Free|
|Adult||£8.45 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Family||£85.00 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Family Single Adult||£65.00 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Single||£35.00 per ticket|
|Carer||£3.50 per ticket|
|Children||£4.25 per ticket|
|Concession||£7.45 per ticket|
|Family Ticket (2 Adults and up to 3 Children)||£19.50 per ticket|
*Occasionally special offers available - see website.
|Opening Times Winter (1 Jan 2020 - 19 Apr 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00*|
|Opening Times Summer (20 Apr 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 18:00*|
* Last Entry is an hour before close.
Opening times are subject to change, please see website for more details.
Details subject to variation without prior notice.
*excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good292
- wiseguy1948Afternoon teaWednesday, 15th January 2020I took my wife and her 91 year old mum for afternoon tea today. My mum in law had the traditional tea and my wife had the vegan tea. Both said they had exceptional food and it was good value for... Read full review
- S JLovely gardens but go in summer!Thursday, 13th February 2020Wandering around the various gardens is lovely, especially if the weather is dry and sunny. There's a tea house/restaurant, which is worth a look. Neither of my kids enjoyed the experience (apart... Read full review
- Barry SSt Albans, United KingdomCompton AcresFriday, 14th February 2020Whatever time of year you visit Compton Acres the display is always good. We enjoyed the heather, snowdrops , crocuses, hellebores and much else. The Italianate Garden was a special delight. There is... Read full review