Compton Acres is one of the finest privately owned gardens in the South of England. Having undergone extensive refurbishment in the past 10 years Compton Acres is now highly regarded as one of the most important historic gardens in the UK.
Comprising a series of classical themed gardens, each providing an attractive and unique variety of ornamental plants from around the world, cared for by a team of professional gardeners.
The gardens are laid out on a circular route, like clusters of jewels on a sparkling necklace, allowing the visitor to discover each garden in turn. Highlights include the Grand Italian Garden, a Rock and Water Garden, a Heather Garden and an authentic Japanese Garden which was designed and built by a Japanese architect with many ornaments imported from Japan. There is surprise, beauty and interest at every turn at Compton Acres.
The five contrasting garden designs were conceived to provide pleasure and enjoyment to its original owner and the gardens still retain the atmosphere of a distinctive private property.
Thanks to the mild climate of Dorset’s south facing coast and the skill of its gardeners, Compton Acres contains a magnificent collection of more than 3000 species of trees, shrubs, bulbs and herbaceous plants enriched by seasonal plantings of thousands of bedding plants. Each year sees an increase in the range of plants chosen to provide colour, beauty and horticultural interest all the year round.
There are two cafes, (the Harbour View cafe is seasonal) serving great coffee, teas, snacks and real homemade food, shops and plant centre.
Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome.
There is a large free car park.
- Compton Acres - We Are Ready
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|4 and Under||Free|
|Adult||£8.45 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Family||£85.00 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Family Single Adult||£65.00 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Single||£35.00 per ticket|
|Carer||£3.50 per ticket|
|Children||£4.25 per ticket|
|Concession||£7.45 per ticket|
|Family Ticket (2 Adults and up to 3 Children)||£19.50 per ticket|
*Occasionally special offers available - see website.
* **Revised COVID-19 Opening times - visit the website for further information
Opening times are subject to change, please see website for more details.
Details subject to variation without prior notice.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Travelers Choice 2020
- Very Good301
- FalmouthLucyDevon, United KingdomReally well laid out gardensFriday, 30th October 2020Used our gardeners world 2 for 1 for this gardren.We loved it.Some parts of the gardens look over the sea .Particulary liked the Italian and Japanese Garden.Its the biggest Japanese garden I have... Read full review
- almyridafanwinchesterTrip Type:CouplesFavourite gardensMonday, 9th November 2020Have visited many times, but not for a couple of years. Gardens were still pretty. The Italian Garden is my favourite. Read full review
- rita cSouthampton, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesNovember WonderlandTuesday, 10th November 2020What a magical garden from the woodland walks and little waterfalls to the Rock & Japenese gardens...full of unusual plants and lots of promise even this late in the year..the stunning colours of the... Read full review