Compton Acres is one of the finest privately owned gardens in the South of England. Having undergone extensive refurbishment in the past 10 years Compton Acres is now highly regarded as one of the most important historic gardens in the UK.
Comprising a series of classical themed gardens, each providing an attractive and unique variety of ornamental plants from around the world, cared for by a team of professional gardeners.
The gardens are laid out on a circular route, like clusters of jewels on a sparkling necklace, allowing the visitor to discover each garden in turn. Highlights include the Grand Italian Garden, a Rock and Water Garden, a Heather Garden and an authentic Japanese Garden which was designed and built by a Japanese architect with many ornaments imported from Japan. There is surprise, beauty and interest at every turn at Compton Acres.
The five contrasting garden designs were conceived to provide pleasure and enjoyment to its original owner and the gardens still retain the atmosphere of a distinctive private property.
Thanks to the mild climate of Dorset’s south facing coast and the skill of its gardeners, Compton Acres contains a magnificent collection of more than 3000 species of trees, shrubs, bulbs and herbaceous plants enriched by seasonal plantings of thousands of bedding plants. Each year sees an increase in the range of plants chosen to provide colour, beauty and horticultural interest all the year round.
There are two cafes, (the Harbour View cafe is seasonal) serving great coffee, teas, snacks and real homemade food, shops and plant centre.
Well behaved dogs on leads are welcome.
There is a large free car park.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|4 and Under||Free|
|Adult||£8.45 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Family||£85.00 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Family Single Adult||£65.00 per ticket|
|Annual Pass Single||£35.00 per ticket|
|Carer||£3.50 per ticket|
|Children||£4.25 per ticket|
|Concession||£7.45 per ticket|
|Family Ticket (2 Adults and up to 3 Children)||£19.50 per ticket|
*Occasionally special offers available - see website.
|Opening Times Summer (20 Apr 2020 - 31 Dec 2020)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 18:00*|
|Opening Times Winter (1 Jan 2021 - 19 Apr 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 16:00*|
* Last Entry is an hour before close.
Opening times are subject to change, please see website for more details.
Details subject to variation without prior notice.
*excluding Christmas Day, Boxing Day and New Year’s Day
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good291
- lenny61Trip Type:CouplesA must visitTuesday, 17th March 2020Visited in march not expecting much, how wrong I was. This beautiful romantic garden was a delight and 3 hours passed without even noticing, so much to see around every corner. I can not recommend... Read full review
- shawjm55Bournemouth, United Kingdomthe most beautiful gardens any time of year come rain or shine. have visited teses gardens many times and every time i vSunday, 12th April 2020love compton acres and my favoutite garden is the heather garden adormned with sculptures . secondfavourite is the tranquil japanese gardens a truly authentic experience with the refectio of the tea... Read full review
- b1234567891010South Devon, United KingdomShocking!Tuesday, 19th May 2020We've visited compton acres a few times and were due to get married. The lack of contact from the venue have been shambles. Compton acres are making out that they are helping out couples wherever... Read full review