The Regent Centre
Covid-19 update – Please check the website for the most up to date information.
The Regent Centre is situated in the middle of Christchurch High Street and is the cinema, theatre, concert hall, art gallery and entertainment centre serving Christchurch, East Dorset and the New Forest.
The Regent opened on Boxing Day 1931 as the town’s cinema, a role it retained until July 1973, when it was closed and then re-opened as the Mecca Social and Bingo Club. The final cry of ‘house’ was sounded in February 1982.
The need for an arts centre in Christchurch had already been well established in the town and in November 1982, Christchurch Borough Council purchased the Regent. A unique relationship was formed between the local authority and a group of over 100 enthusiastic volunteers. Together, they lovingly restored the Regent to all its early Art Deco glory. The Regent Centre in its present form was finally opened on June 11th 1983 by the actress Dora Bryan.
Today, the Regent Centre is one of the finest examples of an early 1930s cinema to survive in Britain. Its 509 seats are regularly filled for events as diverse as the latest film releases to professional touring theatre, jazz, big band, ballet, opera and celebrity star shows. The Regent is also the home venue for many local amateur companies, who regularly stage productions at the Centre.
- BBC One Show
Please see website
|Opening Times (1 Jan 2021 - 31 Jan 2023)|
* The box office phone lines are currently open Monday - Friday 10am - 4pm. For the most up to date information visit the website.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Very Good42
- dawnhH9716DWBeautifully refurbishedSunday, 6th December 2020Just reopened and looks beautiful but .....!! It is FREEZING! I know you've probably whacked up the air con ventilation due to covid but it was uncomfortably cold. You need to warn people!!! I... Read full review
- JohnfrisbeeChristchurch, United KingdomTrip Type:CouplesThe jewel has been polished!Saturday, 10th July 2021During lockdown, we'd heard that our beloved local theatre, The Regent Centre in Christchurch, had been refurbished...this was our first opportunity to see it for ourselves... So, watching a current... Read full review
- maureenbW1751GCQueensbury, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelNutcracker ☺Friday, 10th December 2021Nutcracker ballet beautiful screening of live performance at Royal Opera House Regent Centre good friendly pretty Masks worn although packed was airy enough to breathe Read full review
- Regional and Miscellaneous WTTC Safe Travels 2021