The Etches Collection - Museum of Jurassic Marine Life
Come and visit the ‘Jewel’ in the crown of the Jurassic Coast, The Etches Collection Museum of Jurassic Marine Life situated in the village of Kimmeridge, Dorset
Housing the finest single collection of Late Jurassic age fossils all found by just one man, Dr Steve Etches MBE - you will be mesmerised by sea monsters, prehistoric predators and the marine flora and fauna of 152-157 million years ago when Kimmeridge was but a shallow, tropical sea, during the great age of the Dinosaurs. All of the fossils in the collection were found by Steve in the Kimmeridge Bay locality, from the world famous oil rich Kimmeridge Clay, within 2 miles of where the Museum is located.
Learn about their Stories from Deep Time interpreted with state of the art CGI imagery of Jurassic marine life swimming above the amazing fossils in the museum gallery.
Watch as Steve Etches cleans and conserves his latest finds in the museum lab and workshop - our collection of world class fossils include many which are new to science and of national importance.
The museum features:
Exhibition fossil gallery with CGI imagery and interactives
State of the art workshop, lab and reserve fossil collection
Wolfson Education room with geological and palaeontological interactive displays and information, library, microscope and fossil handling collection, fossil excavation pit, fossil mould painting and activities
Our lifesize recreation of the top chain predator of the Jurassic seas, the giant sea monster Pliosaur - Goliath
Video information guides on the collection
Shop featuring unique gifts, jewellery, branded merchandise, rare fossils and minerals for sale, Jurassic and dinosaur themed goods
Clore Room - our Village Hall which features events, pop up exhibitions and is available for hire
Fully accessible, carbon neutral, modern museum building
Our unique ‘Centre of Excellence’ for learning and discovery will engage and fascinate visitors young and old!
Pay once and return free for a whole year! Special concessions, see our website for more details.
|Ticket Type||Ticket Tariff|
|Adult||£8.00 per ticket|
|Children (5 - 16 years)||£4.00 per ticket|
|Children under 5||Free|
|Family ticket (1 adult + 3 children)||£16.00 per ticket|
|Family Ticket (2 adults + 2 children)||£20.00 per ticket|
Pay once and return free for a whole year! Special concessions, see our website for more details. If you are a group, school, educational institution or university please contact.
|Opening Times (1 Jan 2020 - 31 Jan 2021)|
|Monday - Sunday||10:00||- 17:00*|
* Last ticketed entrance to the Museum is at 4.15pm.
Open on New Year’s Eve and New Year’s Day.
TripAdvisor Traveller Rating:
- Certificate of Excellence 2019
- Very Good35
- jamestO6951XKWatford, United KingdomTrip Type:Solo travelBrings Fossils to LifeMonday, 9th March 2020I used up a couple of hours here. No restaurant or cafe but there is one over the road. The building was clearly intended to cater for school groups with the fossils grouped in one room. They are... Read full review
- michaeltC4351EUExcellent museumTuesday, 10th March 2020Excellent museum with very good, informative displays.Gives great insights into Jurassic marine life. Read full review
- stoneman77London, United KingdomTrip Type:FamilyAn unexpected surprise.Tuesday, 17th March 2020We visited Kimmeridge recently on our way to Kimmeridge Bay, to go search for fossils. In the village we stopped for lunch and noticed this museum opposite the restaurant. What a great find; the... Read full review